Wednesday 14 September 2011

Very interesting interview with ex New Order, Peter Hook

Amplify’d from www.rollingstone.com


Peter Hook 'Saddened and Upset' at New Order Reunion News


'There have been some very, very dodgy dealings. They are in control because there’s more of them than me'



Were you surprised to realize the relationship had gone that sour?No, I’ve known the relationship has been bad for a long time. There have been some very, very dodgy dealings. They are in control because there’s more of them than me. [Laughs] So it’s a very frustrating feeling because you’ve only got 25 percent and they’ve got 75 percent and it’s like being stranded on a desert island waiting to be rescued. You are a bit stuck and a bit helpless. Ultimately I am happy for them to go out and play live, I really am. They’ve just taken everything with no regard. Ultimately it’s my music they’re playing so it’s not the end of the world. I was instrumental, excuse the pun, in New Order for 34 years and they won’t take that from you unless they started releasing new records that eclipsed all the New Order stuff. And maybe they’ll do that, I don’t know. But I do know at this point in time there have been some really underhand, dirty business dealings that have enabled them to do this that I don’t agree with and I’m very saddened and upset by it. But it’ll come out in the wash.
This is a situation a lot of bands have dealt with. Are there musicians you’ve spoken to or looked to for guidance on how to deal with these issues?Musicians are very interesting animals – they can get deeply hurt and then reform. The Eagles are the best example that I’ve ever heard of of hating each other and then getting back together to tour. So at the moment I have a business problem with my old colleagues that will have to be resolved. To my mind, they’ve, as we say in England, jumped the gun. But as my lawyer said this is generally something that can be resolved. That’s what musicians are like, they’re like children aren’t they? [Laughs] They need looking after by adults.
See more at www.rollingstone.com

No comments :

Post a Comment